08 February 2017

Neil Gorsuch's yearbook quote


In the 1988 Columbia University yearbook, the quote accompanying Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch's photo comes from Henry Kissinger -
"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer."
However, Snopes notes that "determining Gorsuch's intention in offering this quote back then is a matter of speculation. It should be noted that Gorsuch founded a school newspaper called The Fed at Columbia University, which frequently published satirical content." 

5 comments:

  1. We often reveal our true selves in our humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I would certainly want to judged by what I thought was humorous when I was in college.

      BTW, perhaps of interest is this "History of Columbia's Oldest Student Newspaper"

      http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thefed/v3/volume15/5/fedhistory.shtml

      Delete
  2. I would guess Kissinger wasn't offering this as satire...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across the quote a few years ago. I use it a lot for humor. I'm not sure if Kissinger offered it as satire, or in what context. I think its hilarious, and a great comment on practical necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Full quote:
    "Before the Freedom of Information Act, I used to say at meetings,
    “The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.“
    But since the Freedom of Information Act, I’m afraid to say things like that."
    I would guess there is much more to this quote.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...